Holiday workout gives you energy
You know that slump you feel when you take a break and do nothing? It’s like the less you do the less you feel like doing. Your energy levels actually go down. You feel lethargic and unsatisfied and unproductive. This might be ok for a couple of days but I do not like feeling like this for a week or more, particularly when I might be eating and drinking more on my holiday which will make me feel even more sluggish. What you need is a holiday workout.
Yes a holiday workout. It is actually a good time to try a few new things as the usual way you train might not be available.
Holiday workout ideas
Here are some ideas to get you going:
- Go on a run. Even if it is something you never usually do. Try and see how long you can run or jog before you have to walk. The run, walk it.
- Do some sprints. On the sand in bare feet. On the oval or in the park. In the pool. The main thing with sprints is to warm up well and to make sure you rest a lot between each one to bring your heart rate back down. You only have to do 3 or 4 sprints and the whole thing with a warm up will only take half an hour.
- Go on a bike ride.
- Go on a challenging hike or long walk. Make it more than a gentle stroll.
- Do a tabata style workout. Get a timer on your phone and it will be 20 seconds work and 10 seconds rest for 8 rounds so 4 minutes in total. You can do 8 lots of the same exercise or alternate eg. squats then push ups. Try to get about 4 or 5 done which should only take you 20 minutes.
- Find a local gym or F45 or other class and book in for a casual visit. It is fun to try something new.
- Hire a canoe or a kayak or stand up paddle board.
- Swim right across the beach and walk back.
- Look up a workout on youtube and just do it.
- Find an outdoor workout station and make up a circuit.
- A family game of touch footy or tennis is fun.
I find it works best to get your holiday workout done early so that it gets done. It will make you feel good all day.
Looking forward to seeing you in the park from 12 October. We have a new term starting and it is a great time to give us a try as we head towards summer. The mornings are light and much warmer.
Here is a link to our website. Until then keep moving.