“Meal prep” by stealth
“Meal prep” does not have to mean hours in the kitchen on a Sunday afternoon, like you see athletes and serious health nuts doing.
What I mean by meal prep “by stealth” is doing meal prep when you are already in the kitchen preparing a meal! Here are some ideas you can use during lockdown to make sure you have a fridge full of healthy food for you and the family:
- You have the oven on to cook the dinner. Why not roast a cauliflower at the same time or when the dinner is ready and the oven is already hot. Cut up some capsicum, tomatoes, onions, carrots, pumpkin – olive oil and roast a tray of veggies. Very handy to add to salads during the week. Olive oil has been shown to make the polyphenols in vegetables more available to us.
- You are in the kitchen anyway – while making dinner – boil up 12 eggs. Great snack in the fridge.
- You are chopping up things for the dinner. Chop up some carrots and some celery and keep them in a container in the fridge for the next time you need something crunchy.
- You are making a healthy dinner. Double the quantities so you have another meal or meals for during the week (or one for the freezer).
- Use the hot oven to roast up some sweet potatoes in their jackets – the purple ones are delicious.
- Just made a stir fry? Use the wok to fry up a whole lot of mushrooms or onion or haloumi. These make a great addition to salads.
- Making rice or quinoa to go with dinner? Always make more than you need – this will only last a day or so but again – really good for lunch the next day or to add to a salad.
- Cutting up fruit? Cut up a bit extra and keep it handy for next time you make a smoothie.
- Make some big quantities of pesto or some hummus while you are in the kitchen waiting for other things to cook. These recipes usually just involve putting a whole lot of things in a food processor and zhoozing. This is easy to do while you are standing by waiting for the pasta to cook.